In 2009, Uganda International Fashion Week becomes International Fashion Week Africa.
The fashion week is an event celebrated allover the world in leading fashion capitals like Paris, Milan, New York, London, Cape Town and Johannesburg, Uganda launched her version in 2003 to become an annual nationally celebrated event.
UIFW is the brainchild of Arapapa Consultancy Ltd, a Fashionable outfit that encompasses a Contemporary Fashion House & Design Studio, a Modeling and Casting Agency as well as an Events Management Agency which organizes the Uganda International Fashion Week. Arapapa was officially launched in July, 2001.
H.E the President of the Republic of Uganda Awarded the President of UIFW Ms. Santa Anzo ; 1st Prize Award in appreciation for her role in toiling to Develop & Transform Uganda Uganda.
Other notable achievements:
- UIFW is East Africa’s Premium Fashion Event.
- International participation; South Africa, New York & Paris, Senegal, Nigeria, and the rest of East Africa.
- Proud National ownership of UIFW by the people of Uganda.
- UIFW is recognized on the national social calendar of the Republic of Uganda as a premium event aimed at encouraging creativity as a tool for sustainable development, by branding Uganda a destination of African fashion and creativity; A nation moving towards prosperity through creativity.
- Corporate interest
- Diplomatic interest
- UIFW has revolutionalized the fashion and textiles industry in Uganda and East Africa as a whole.
- UIFW encourages creativity as a tool to eliminate job seeking tendencies.
- As an Entertainment module UIFW brings glitz and glamour to an otherwise pale East African Fashion Arena.
UIFW 2007 was postponed to 2008; this was because Uganda was hosting the Common Wealth Heads of State Meeting (CHOGM) in the capital Kampala. UIFW is about showcasing Uganda, promoting our heritage and Chogm was paying tribute to Uganda’s uniqueness-as the pearl of Africa. Uganda hosted 53 countries and heads of state .As the management agency for UIFW Arapapa opted to join our government and the entire common wealth community in celebrating the pearl of Africa. We therefore postponed edition 2007 of UIFW to 2008.